DBAs, the deadine is coming!
Book review of “The Deadline Effect” by Christopher Cox. Cox has written about politics, business, books, and science for The New York Times Magazine, GQ, Harper’s, Wired, and Slate. In 2020, he was named a Knight Science Journalism Fellow at MIT and a visiting scholar at NYU’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute.
Cox explains how and why deadlines work and offers a wide range of examples from history, psychology and organization behavior. Here are the case studies used by Cox.
- Creating Checkpoints: Jean-Georges Restaurants
- Planning Right to Left: Easter Lilies and Airbus Jets
- A Soft Open with Teeth: Telluride Ski Mountain
- Focusing Your Mission: John Delaney’s Presidential Campaign
- Revise, Revise, Revise: Scaled Robotics and the Public Theater
- Becoming a “Mission-Driven Monster”: Best Buy
- Mastering the Deadline Effect: United States Air Force
Key takeaway for me in “The Deadline Effect” by Christopher Cox:
- You can change deadlines from scary things into a purposeful motivational tool.
DBA colleagues, you live with deadlines ALL the time. Turn those deadlines into your personal motivation tool to succeed under pressure!
I give the book “The Deadline Effect” by Christopher Cox, a thumbs up. Right?
This book review first appeared on Retireddba.com: https://retireddba.com/
Gif is provided by Giphy.com.
Search for additional blog posts:
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Pluralsight – Get your Skill IQ with a Free Assessment from PluralSight
Whizlabs – Online Training for Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI ACP)® Certification Exam | Enroll Now
Edureka – Enroll Now for Docker Training and Certification By Edureka and increase your chances to get hired by Top Tech Companies
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.