DBAs, How high maintenance are you?
Webinar review of “Best Practices for SQL Server Maintenance” by Eric Blinn. Blinn has been a SQL Server DBA and Architect in the Legal, Software, Transportation, and Insurance industries for over 10 years.
In their words: “Proper maintenance of a SQL Server requires several steps that need to run in harmony. From backups, corruption checks, index maintenance, data archiving, pruning system tables …”
These are a few points Blinn discussed during the webinar.
- Native (full, differential and transaction log)
- Non-native (Must be application aware)
- VM snapshots are not SQL backups
- Disaster recovery
- Mistake recovery
- Check timing of all backup tasks
- Secure backups – offsite is the best
- Logical inconsistencies
- Broken linked list
- Unintended changes to data due to software / hardware glitches
- Any of the above will probably have data loss
- Set checksum page verification flag on every database
- DBCC CheckDB – Physical only is an option
- Logical defragmenting
- Statistical metadata updates
- Creating new and dropping old indexes
- Review timings on all index maintenance tasks
- DO NOT shrink database
- Verify and change SQL Server database settings
- Alert notification emails
- Maintenance plans
- Review maintenance report files
- Ola Hallengren SQL Server Maintenance Solution MUCH better and MORE power
- Missing indexes
- Security and bug fixes
- SPs and CUs
- Review timings on software updates
Review SQL logs
- Review timings on SQL log reviews
- Dbatools.io has an option for SQL Server updates: update-dbainstance
My SQL Server DBA colleagues, SQL Server maintenance is so boring but so critical. This webinar provides a nice review on many SQL Server maintenance items you should be monitoring.
I give the webinar “Best Practices for SQL Server Maintenance” by Eric Blinn a thumbs up. Right?
This webinar review first appeared on Retireddba.com: https://retireddba.com/
Gif is provided by Giphy.com.
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Pluralsight – Get your Skill IQ with a Free Assessment from PluralSight
Whizlabs – Online Training for Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI ACP)® Certification Exam | Enroll Now
Edureka – Enroll Now for Docker Training and Certification By Edureka and increase your chances to get hired by Top Tech Companies
ed2go – Creating Mobile Apps with HTML5
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.