GDPR, HIPAA, SOX, PCI, SHIELD, CCPA … oh my!
Nice Redgate Blog article by Rebecca Edwards:
Forget GDPR. Think HIPAA, SOX, PCI, SHIELD and the CCPA
Some good points made by Edwards in the article:
- The Health Insurance portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was introduced in 1996.
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act, or SOX was started in 2002.
- The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (often abbreviated simply to PCI) was launched in 2004.
- Stop Hacks and Improve Electronic Data Security Act (SHIELD) is set to become law in New York from January 1, 2019.
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) will start on January 1, 2020.
- Access to production databases needs to be controlled.
- Backups and copies of databases in other environments like development and testing need to have sensitive data masked.
Good information on the latest regulations that companies should be following. When NY and CA pass laws, other states will soon follow.
Be prepared my DBA friends for the latest regulations. Be prepared.