Nice Redgate Blog article by Rebecca Edwards:
Some good points by Edwards:
- Health Insurance portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was introduced in 1996.
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act, or SOX, came into force in 2002.
- The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (often abbreviated simply to PCI), launched in 2004.
- Stop Hacks and Improve Electronic Data Security Act (SHIELD) is set to become law in New York from January 1, 2019.
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) comes into play on January 1, 2020.
- Access to production databases needs to be controlled.
- Backups and copies of databases in other environments like development and testing need to have sensitive data masked.
Good info on the latest regulations that companies should be following or will need to follow very soon. When NY and CA pass laws, other states will soon follow.
Be prepared my DBA friends. Be prepared.