Webinar review of: Top 5 SQL Server Challenges Automated with PowerShell held on 5/29/19 by Kevin Kline. Kline serves as Principal Program Manager at SentryOne and was the moderator over these presenters: Chrissy LeMaire – Maintainer – dbatools, Sander Stad – Maintainer – PSDatabaseClone, Rob Sewell – Maintainer – dbachecks, Kirill Kravtsov – Maintainer – dbops.
Here’s the list of points I gleaned from the webinar and information on the Powershell tools at their respective webinks.
Automate migrations of SQL Server databases between servers
- dbatools has quick simple commands to copy databases and sql server instance artifacts on premises
- Easy Azure SQL managed instant management commands
Preventative maintenance checks on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis
- dbachecks has hundreds of checks and configurations
- multiple instances easily and quickly checked
Provisioning security for SQL Server databases, including data masking
- PSDatabaseClone allows DBAs to copy database to a virtual drive and then create clones much smaller in size.
- Data masking is also possible and can save many hours of time.
Automate Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) of code to SQL Server databases
- Model based (dacpacs) but it does not move data
- Script based deployments (dbops powershell module) keeps track of what needs to be incrementally deployed
Logging errors and messages in PowerShell cmdlets
- Pipe all results of dbatools to a SQL database table
- These and many more commands at https://dbatools.io . dbatools is a free PowerShell module with over 500 SQL Server best practice, administration, development and migration commands included.
The webinar is a thumbs up must for DBAs needing to jump start or dramatically improve their use of Powershell. The scripts to automate and manage one or multiple SQL servers are a bonus.
After this webinbar, DBAs will be up for the challenge of Powershell. Right?
Ed2Go –Intermediate SQL
Expand your knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL), the industry standard database programming language. In this course, you’ll learn techniques that will enable you to write powerful queries that perform complicated searches and sorts on your data.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to use a wide range of advanced SQL techniques with confidence. Your new skills with databases will enhance your competitiveness in the technical fields of software development and database.