Webinar review: 5 Surprising Lessons Every SQL Server Generalist Has to Learn by Kevin Kline and Denny Cherry. Kevin Kline is a Principal Program Manager at SentryOne. Denny Cherry is a Principal Consultant at Denny Cherry & Associates Consulting.
In their words: “…here are a handful of very important lessons you will have to learn if you administrate a SQL Server.”
SQL Server defaults configuration settings can hurt you
- Auto-grow and Auto-shrink
- Number of database files (trace flag 1117 and 1118)
- MaxDOP and Cost Threshold for Parallelism
- Max and Min Memory
- Optimize for Ad Hoc Workloads
Preventative maintenance (PM) requires DBA attention
- SQL Agent Error Notifications
- Database consistency checks (DBCC) on user db’s
- Backups with verification & Restore test
- Defragmentation (Fill factor, Pad Index)
- Updating Index Statistics (trace flag 2371)
Make sure indexes are working properly
- Object-relational mapping tools do horrible things to and with indexes
- Every table should have a clustered index and NOT A GUID!
- Sequential ID field is best key and composite keys can be wasteful and slow
- Be careful about duplicate indexes
Backups, planning, availability and recovery are critical
- The transaction log is critical for recovery
- Backups are useless without a restore test
- Planning is essential!
- Know your RPO and RTO numbers
Database security is more important than ever and more overlooked than ever
- SecurityIntelligence.com reports that 75% of threats come from insiders
- SQL Injection is still the #1 hack that causes real damage
- Plan ahead of a breach to minimize issues
- Ensure the least privileges principle for applications running on your servers
- Don’t assume SA password is safe, especially with vendor purchased apps.
Many, many more SQL Server settings, surprises and solutions are discussed. And I so remember horror stories and wasted hours fixing issues for most of the topics discussed. Right?
I give the webinar: “5 Surprising Lessons Every SQL Server Generalist Has to Learn” a thumbs up!
Note: the webinar goes about 86 minutes and is well worth listening to the entire webinar. Also look at the Q&A tab and resource tab for more information.
Pearson Education (InformIT) – eBook Deal of the Day
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Coursera – You’ve got a deep network, a great resume, and a top-notch LinkedIn profile. Start building in-demand skills on Coursera, and your career will be ready to take off. Start your 7-day risk-free trial today. – Take the world’s best courses, online.
ed2go – ed2go Course Catalog – With over 300 online courses to choose from, you can learn a new hobby or skill from anywhere. A new class session starts each month, so you can learn alongside a cohort of peers and discuss new lessons each week.
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.