Webinar review of: It’s Just SQL Server on Azure, Right? by Steve Hughes, a Director at Pragmatic Works.
Hughes touches on various options and considerations for moving SQL Server to Azure. The following is an outline of the items discussed by Hughes.
- Moving SQL Server to Azure
- Changes your data model
- Flexibility in future
- Changes to the DBA job but does not eliminate DBAs
- New cloud ready apps are possible
- Azure Options
- Azure SQL database = Managed Instance
- Azure SQL Database = Single database
- SQL Server on Azure VM
- Azure Advanced Options
- Azure SQL data warehouse
- Azure SQL database elastic pools
- Azure Considerations
- Operational Ease
- PaaS automatic patches can still cause issues – pay attention
- PaaS High Avaialability is managed for you – pay attention
- SQL Server on VM requires you to manage patches, backups, HA
- DR requires a separate plan vs the on-prem DR plan
- Secure environment
- Azure Active Directory vs SQL Logins / Active Directory
- PaaS – Public endpoints (single database) or VNET Secured (Manged instance)
- IaaS – VM security same as on-prem
- Functional equivalence areas that requires more attention
- Single database – High Availability
- Managed instance – Backup rules, cross database functionality, sql server agent
- SQL on VM – Filestream
- Migration options
- Azure data migration assistant – creates an assesment
- Azure data migration service – online/offline migrations
- Migrating to PaaS – Managed instance almost 100% like SQL Server
- VM is self managed vs other opotions are completely managed for you
- Price for 1TB database per month, 8 core, enterprise SQL Server (includes license cost)
- Single – $1800+
- Managed Instance – $1700
- 2 VMs – $5700
Hughes made a final recommendation: Managed Instances is the best bang for the buck in most cases.
Note: This is another webinar where the 15 minute Q&A after the webinar is worth listening to all the questions and responses from Hughes.
I give the webinar ‘It’s Just SQL Server on Azure, Right?’ a thumbs up. Right?
Pearson Education (InformIT) – eBook Deal of the Day
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Coursera – You’ve got a deep network, a great resume, and a top-notch LinkedIn profile. Start building in-demand skills on Coursera, and your career will be ready to take off. Start your 7-day risk-free trial today. – Take the world’s best courses, online.
ed2go – ed2go Course Catalog – With over 300 online courses to choose from, you can learn a new hobby or skill from anywhere. A new class session starts each month, so you can learn alongside a cohort of peers and discuss new lessons each week.
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.