Will Azure Data Studio be your next toolbox addition?
Webinar review of: Intro to Azure Data Studio and the Plan Explorer Extension by Kevin Kline and Warwick Rudd on 8/28/2019
Kevin Kline is a Principal Program Manager at SentryOne. Warwick Rudd is a Principal Consultant at SQL Master Consulting.
Here’s a partial list of the webinar contents that were discussed and demoed by Rudd and Kline.
Azure Data Studio (ADS) History
- SQL Operations Studio was the original and released 11/2017. It was quickly replaced by Azure Data Studio on 9/2018
When Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) is better to use.
- Security and User Management
- Performance Tuning
- Query Store
- Live Query Stats
- Data Tuning Advisor
- Importing / Exporting
- Managing High Availability
- Disaster Recovery tasks
- Availability Groups
- Database Mirroring
- Log Shipping
When Azure Data Studio (ADS) is better to use.
- Need to quickly chart or visualize result sets
- Performing DBA tasks via scripts
- SQL Server 2019 features only in ADS
- Big Data Clusters
Demos, lots of great demos by Rudd.
- Custom Insights for Dashboards
- T-SQL Snippets
- Code Definitions
- Query Executions and result outputs
- Source Control
- Allows total customization of ADS
- Tons of administration and other extensions
- i.e. SQL Server Agent, SQL Server profiler, powershell, schema compare
- SQL Notebooks – Able to build your own toolkit inside cells. Code and data can be shared.
- SentryOne Plan Explorer – Query plan tool on steriods
- Tons of urls listed in the slides
A critical takeaway is that Azure Data Studio is constantly being updated by Microsoft. The 10+ product releases since 9/2018 prove it. By the time you read this, it will probably be updated again! Azure Data Studio is a tool that DBAs need to master and keep in their SQL Server toolbox. Right?
I give the webinar ‘Intro to Azure Data Studio and the Plan Explorer Extension’ by Kevin Kline and Warwick Rudd a thumbs up.
Whizlabs – 165 Practice Questions for Microsoft Azure Exam AZ 400 | Buy Now
Edureka – DevOps Training by Edureka Gain expertise in various Devops processes and tools like Puppet, Jenkins, Nagios, GIT for automating multiple steps in SDLC, Ansible, SaltStack, Chef. Know More!
Whizlabs – Practice Tests for Exam AZ-400: Microsoft Azure DevOps Solutions
Whizlabs – Online Training for Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI ACP)® Certification Exam | Enroll Now
Edureka – Data Science Training by Edureka Drive Business Insights from Massive Data Sets Utilizing the Power of R Programming, Hadoop, and Machine Learning.
Ed2Go –Intermediate SQL – By the end of this course, you’ll be able to use a wide range of advanced SQL techniques with confidence.