Review of the PDF: The essential guide to data in the cloud: A handbook for DBAs by Microsoft.
In Microsoft’s words: “Learn how your DBA role is even more critical in the cloud… Your company’s data is moving to the cloud and your role as a database administrator (DBA) is about to transform… now’s the time to showcase the value you add to the business as a DBA… DBAs can use the cloud to lower costs and boost the bottom line.”
Some of the noteworthy points in the PDF are:
- Nice chart of SQL Server on-premises vs Microsoft Azure cloud data services showing the shift in technologies.
- SQL Server On-premises requires more management, but with limited technologies vs Microsoft Azure cloud has less infrastructure to manage but advanced services and technologies on one platform.
- Microsoft Azure cloud offers broader range of databases and features such as NoSQL database.
- Microsoft Azure cloud reduces maintenance tasks but it opens up opportunities for more data driven solutions.
- Chart of Microsoft Azure cloud tools available for various migrations such as on-premises, Oracle, JSON files, etc.
- List of reasons to use various Microsoft Azure cloud options such as Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Database Managed Instance, SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Database for MySQL, Azure Database for PostgreSQL, Azure Database for MariaDB.
- Overview of managing costs of SQL Server on-premises with low incremental costs vs Microsoft Azure cloud solutions on a pay as you go model.
- Chart of DBA skills that have reduced focus, increased focus and new skills when migrating to the cloud.
Not a lot of meat in the Microsoft PDF, but the overview points will kick-start you to look for more in-depth info.
DBAs should be happy to be losing the drudgery of day-to-day maintenance tasks of on-premise SQL Server databases. Dbas can focus on performance, cost and database optimization as well as have more time to focus on business outcomes by relocating databases into the Microsoft Azure cloud. The latter is probably what your managers and C-level executives assumed you were always doing!
It’s a brave new world for DBAs! You are ready to redefine your DBA role! Right?
Pearson Education (InformIT) – eBook Deal of the Day
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Coursera – You’ve got a deep network, a great resume, and a top-notch LinkedIn profile. Start building in-demand skills on Coursera, and your career will be ready to take off. Start your 7-day risk-free trial today. – Take the world’s best courses, online.
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.