Review of article: SQL Server 2019 Licensing: How Much Does It Cost and What’s Included? by Joseph D’Antoni a Principal Consultant for Denny Cherry and Associates Consulting.
Is there anything more frustrating than trying to figure out Microsoft SQL Server licensing rules? D’Antoni’s article clears up a few points and is a worthy read.
SQL Server 2019 Retail pricing
- SQL Server Enterprise Edition: $7,128 per core
- SQL Server Standard Edition: $1,859 per core
- SQL Server Standard Edition Server Licensing: $931 plus $209 per named user client access license (CAL)
SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition
- FREE !!!
- Run any nonproduction workloads (NO PRODUCTION)
- Can be used for testing, training, and user acceptance
SQL Server 2019 Virtual machine (VM) pricing
- A virtual CPU is a physical CPU
- License all cores on a physical host for Enterprise Edition and buy Software Assurance to get unlimited SQL Server EE VMs
Software Assurance (SA)
- SQL Server licenses can move between machines (think VM)
- Microsoft’s frequent release cycle makes it is foolish not to buy it
These and many other confusing Microsoft SQL Server licensing rules are discussed in the article. I give the article “SQL Server 2019 Licensing: How Much Does It Cost and What’s Included?” a thumbs up! Right?
Pearson Education (InformIT) – eBook Deal of the Day
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Coursera – You’ve got a deep network, a great resume, and a top-notch LinkedIn profile. Start building in-demand skills on Coursera, and your career will be ready to take off. Start your 7-day risk-free trial today. – Take the world’s best courses, online.
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.