Dbas you better think again!
Book review of “Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don’t Know” by Adam Grant. Grant is an organizational psychologist at Wharton, one of TED’s most popular speakers, his books have sold millions of copies, and his talks have been viewed 25+ million times.
Grant details that thinking like a scientist involves individual rethinking, interpersonal rethinking, and collective rethinking. Here are some of the ideas Grant discusses:
- Finding the sweet spot of confidence
- The good fight club: the psychology of constructive conflict
- Diminish prejudice by destabilizing stereotypes
- Depolarize divided discussions
- That’s not the way we’ve always done it
- Escape tunnel vision
- Question your opinions and open other people’s minds
- Unlearning and relearning requires courage over comfort
- Many of us favor the comfort of conviction over the discomfort of doubt
- We listen to opinions that make us feel good, instead of ideas that make us think hard
- Disagreement as a threat to our egos, rather than an opportunity to learn
- We surround ourselves with agreeable people vs people who challenge our thought process
- Keeping an open mind is a teachable skill
- Embrace the joy of being wrong
- Don’t believe everything you think
- Continually question old assumptions and embrace new ideas and perspectives
Ok DBA colleagues, how many times in your career should you have done a re-think before proceeding on a project, should have unlearned what you already know, or kept an open mind to new ideas. Better yet, thought about what you don’t know! This book will help you get past the old ways and find better ways to proceed. You can use the lessons in the book at home, work, or school.
I give the book “Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don’t Know” by Adam Grant, a thumbs up. Right?
This book review first appeared on Retireddba.com: https://retireddba.com/
Gif is provided by Giphy.com.
Search for additional articles:
Pluralsight – Start your Free Trial today! – Don’t let technology outpace you. Work smarter and master your craft with a technology learning platform that will help you build better and create more.
Pluralsight – Get your Skill IQ with a Free Assessment from PluralSight
Whizlabs – Online Training for Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI ACP)® Certification Exam | Enroll Now
Edureka – Enroll Now for Docker Training and Certification By Edureka and increase your chances to get hired by Top Tech Companies
ed2go – Creating Mobile Apps with HTML5
RetiredDBA.com is compensated if you click to an advertiser website and/or you make a purchase after clicking to an advertiser website. This does not INCREASE the price you pay. The income is used to continue to provide as much free content as possible.