Webinar review of: Azure Cloud & You: First Steps for the DBA by John Morehouse on 8/7/2019. Morehouse is a consultant with Denny Cherry & Associates Consulting and leader of the Louisville SQL Server / Power BI user group.
The description of the webinar states: “Azure offers up a new world of possibilities for DBAs and we should all strive to learn it…. We will stand up a new Azure virtual machine as well as setup a SQLDB.”
The webinar started out by Morehouse stating “There is no cloud. It’s just someone else’s computer!”. Morehouse then went over details of some wide ranging Microsoft Azure Cloud topics.
- “On Prem”
- IAAS – Infrastucture as a Service
- PAAS – Platform as a Service
- SaaS – Software as a Service
- AAD – Azure Active Directory
- ARM – Azure Resource Manager
- LRS / GRS / ZRS / RA-GRS – Types of storage
- Resource Groups – Tupperware container of Azure
- Geograpies/Regions – Aids in getting resources closer to end user
Various ways to use Microsoft Azure cloud
- VM hosted on IaaS provisions in 15 minutes and grows / shrinks as needed with a reboot.
- SQLDB is just a database in the cloud that is automatically upgraded, patched, backed up, etc.
- Managed Instances (MI) – Can’t see OS but can see SQL Server and run SQL agent jobs, etc.
Microsoft Azure cloud command line possiblitilties
- Azure powershell
- Azure command line interface (CLI)
Microsoft Azure cloud mobile app capabilities
- Start/stop VMS
- BASH scripts
Morehouse covers alot of cloud information in the webinar in a short time. I give the webinar ‘Azure Cloud & You’ a thumbs up. Right?
And don’t forget DBAs, here’s a list of several cloud tier trial versions: https://retireddba.com/cloud/
Edureka – DevOps Training by Edureka Gain expertise in various Devops processes and tools like Puppet, Jenkins, Nagios, GIT for automating multiple steps in SDLC, Ansible, SaltStack, Chef. Know More!
Edureka – Data Science Training by Edureka Drive Business Insights from Massive Data Sets Utilizing the Power of R Programming, Hadoop, and Machine Learning.
Ed2Go –Intermediate SQL – By the end of this course, you’ll be able to use a wide range of advanced SQL techniques with confidence.